2013-09-03

Hackathon idea - export Endomondo user data

I've used Endomondo sport tracker for some time. I'm still using it. But sometimes I like to switch to other tracking software, to get other features. Last time I've decided to make some comparisons with other software, and to dig data with other tools. I've heard that Endomondo (non pro) is not too nice about data export policy.

So, there was no big surprise - no export all data option. I've checked option of exporting single workout - but if you have hundreds of those - it is no option. I'm a hostage that could go out with a very short chain attached.

So I've started to looking for solutions. Because of large user-base there are some links found:

1. exportmondo Android app (cost about 2$)

Probably one of the easiest options to go. Not tested.

Btw. It is very nice gesture from Endomondo to make niche for other business opportunities. 

2. Dump Database hidden feature 
http://forums.androidcentral.com/health-fitness/218459-exporting-data-endomondo.html

Very nice Android option. You can use special copydb/endomondo credentials to have SqlLite3 database copied into root folder of card. 
If previously you had your data on device and Endomondo asked for logging ti is good for you, in other case...
If you use copydb user id you have empty database. 
If you use your own credentials, your data gets synchronized. Then to use copydb logon you have to be logged out. 
Unfortunatelly that way was secured by wiping out local database. There is a way to get it work - application could have more hidden features like dumping database.   

I've tested that - and got only empty database.

3. PHP script that fetches data from Endomondo web site
https://www.bytopia.dk/blog/2012/11/30/download-all-workouts-from-endomondo/
not tested


4. some Python script to fetch data https://github.com/yannickcarer/endomondo-export
not tested

5. GreaseMonkey script to fetch data
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/128743 

Because I'm playing a lot with browsers and GreaseMonkey engine I've gave it a chance.
First run and success! It is fun to see how much time it cold take for poor user to export all those files manually. Probably it could be recorded as a new kind of workout activity.

After operation I've above hundred of gpx files. I'm going to merge it into larger database.

And I have to rethink future use of Endomondo if I had to fight more for my data. 

2017 Update
6. tapiriik.com
Open source project that synchronises data between various tracking services accounts like Endomondo or Runkeeper.
There is a full list of services I found in the project:

  • BeginnerTriathlete
  • Dropbox
  • Endomondo
  • GarminConnect
  • Motivato
  • NikePlus
  • Pulsstory
  • RideWithGPS
  • RunKeeper
  • Smashrun
  • SportTracks
  • Strava
  • TrainAsONE
  • TrainerRoad
  • TrainingPeaks
  • VeloHero

No comments: